Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sharing Skype with Megan

Skype
google images.com
After Skyping last class and hearing my son talk about how easy Skype is, I decided to set up an account on my home computer.  Then my daughter, Megan  caught on, and now she is Skyping with two of her friends everyday.  Since she is on vacation this week it has served as a way for her to set up play dates and sleepovers.  I find it so adorable how she uses tech. lingo like brb, for be right back.  Then she runs in her room gets a toy and holds it up to the camera to show her friend what they will be doing when she comes over to play.  Last night my daughter asked if she could buy a webcam... my response was as long as I know when you are going on and who you are Skyping with, YES!!!  My mother lives in-state but with our busy schedules we don't see each other enough.  I plan to Skype with my mom once I can set her up an account on her computer.  Skype is great!  Krysta and I tossed around the idea of Skyping with our two classes as an introduction lesson into Skyping.  I think we will revisit the idea once our next class project is completed.  I also thought of trying to find a children's author who would be willing to Skype...Hmmm.  Now I'm inspired!  Have you heard of any children's author who whould be willing to set up a Skype with a 3rd grade class?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, children's authors are interested in Skyping with classes. Continue to think about this idea and to make contact with authors. Reading other teachers' blogs might help you locate authors. Also, if you want, I can put out a question on Twitter for you to solicit replies. I follow a few children's authors already, and you might start to do the same. Judy Blume and Chris Crutcher are two, but you need authors who write for younger students.

    ReplyDelete